Dental implant treatment is currently the most popular and effective way to replace missing or unrepairable teeth. Unlike dentures, which can slip and slide around in your mouth, dental implants are anchored to your jawbone, providing a stable and secure foundation for artificial teeth and are more suitable to produce the best natural look.
This article will discuss the advantages of dental implants, how they can improve oral health and contribute to better overall health and lifestyle, and who can benefit the most from dental implants in Brisbane.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is placed into the jawbone. Once the implant has fused with the bone, an artificial tooth or teeth are attached to it.
Dental implants can be used to replace a single missing tooth, several missing teeth, or even all of your teeth. The dental implant procedure involves several steps, including placing the implant post, allowing time for healing, and attaching the implant abutment and artificial tooth.
Advantages of Dental Implants
Dental implants have several advantages over other tooth replacement options, including:
- Improved oral health: Dental implants help to maintain the bone structure and gum tissue around the implant, preventing bone loss and preserving natural teeth.
- Better functionality: Dental implants look and function like natural teeth, allowing for comfortable eating and speaking.
- Durability: Dental implants are a long-lasting solution for tooth replacement, with proper care and maintenance.
- Improved appearance: Dental implants can improve your smile by filling in gaps and spaces caused by missing teeth.
- Improved self-confidence: You will never have a hard time interacting with others with a beautiful set of teeth, allowing you to speak and smile with ease.
How Dental Implants Improve Oral Health
Dental implants not only replace missing teeth, but they also contribute to better oral health.
- Dental implants help to maintain bone structure and gum tissue around the implant, preventing bone loss and preserving natural teeth.
- Dental implants are easy to care for, requiring regular brushing and flossing, just like natural teeth.
- With proper care, dental implants can prevent decay and plaque buildup, keeping your mouth healthy.
- While dentures may irritate the gums and cause sore spots, dental implants are more gentle on the gums, as it allows the gum tissue to grow around the implant, which gives a comfortable and natural feeling.
How Dental Implants Contribute to Overall Better Health and Lifestyle
Dental implants can contribute to better overall health and lifestyle by improving:
- Your ability to eat and speak comfortably: Dental implants allow for comfortable eating and speaking, making it easier to enjoy your favourite foods and communicate with others.
- Your self-confidence: With a restored smile, dental implants can give you the confidence to pursue your goals and interact with others more freely.
- Your overall health: By preventing bone loss and decay, dental implants can contribute to better overall health, reducing the risk of periodontal disease and other health complications.
Who Can Benefit From Dental Implants the Most?
Dental implants are an excellent option for anyone with missing teeth who wants a permanent tooth replacement solution. Specifically, the people who may benefit the most from dental implants treatment are:
- Individuals who have lost one or more teeth due to injury or decay.
- Those who are unable to wear dentures due to sore spots or discomfort.
- Individuals who want a long-lasting solution for tooth replacement that looks and functions like natural teeth.
These individuals can be the elderly or young adults, as long as they have the requirements to avail of dental implant surgery.
What Not to Expect With Just Having Dental Implants?
While dental implant treatment is an excellent tooth replacement solution, it is important to keep in mind that they still require proper care and maintenance just like natural teeth to ensure they last for a long time, even a lifetime. There are things that will not go away just because you have dental implants.
- Dental implants are not immune to plaque buildup and decay, so proper oral hygiene is crucial to maintain their health.
- Dental implants do not separate and specific maintenance methods, but the usual regular check-ups with a dentist or dental hygienist are necessary to monitor their health and address any arising issues promptly.
- Dental implants do not involve the replacement of tooth roots with metal; instead, they involve the placement of an artificial tooth root, which is fused to the jawbone for stability.
- Dental implants are not a quick fix for tooth replacement and require a healing period after the implant procedure, typically a few days to a week.
Care for Your Dental Implants
Proper care is crucial to ensure the longevity and health of your dental implants. The following are important to do in order to secure longer-lasting dental implants.
- Continue brushing your teeth together with your implants at least twice a day, using a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste with fluoride.
- Floss between your natural teeth and around your implants daily to remove plaque and debris.
- Use an interdental brush to clean around the implant abutment and artificial tooth, where a regular toothbrush cannot reach.
- Visit your dentist or dental hygienist regularly for check-ups and professional cleanings to monitor the health of your implants and address any issues.
- Take care of your dental implants during the healing period after surgery, following your dentist’s instructions carefully.
- Avoid hard or crunchy foods that can damage your dental implants, and do not use your teeth to open packages or bottles.
- Quit smoking, as smoking can increase the risk of implant failure and other oral health issues.
Dental implants are an excellent solution for tooth replacement, providing a long-lasting, comfortable, and natural-looking option for people with missing teeth. They contribute to better oral health, and improved functionality, making them an ideal option for anyone looking to restore their smile and get back their confidence.
If you are interested in dental implant surgery, consult with a dental implant specialist to determine to get started on your dental implant treatment.